The $20 (Or Not) Storage Closet Door Post 2

By Pinktoesandpowertools | Progress Posts

Ana’s plans for the storage closet doors involve bi-fold doors in a room with hardwood floors.  If you have this type of door, you should check out what she did.  The door I will be putting this on is a regular door in a room with carpet. Ana uses 1 1/4″ casters, which probably work very well on her smooth floor.  I thought the number associated with the casters had to do with the size of the caster NOT the height–and this is an important oversight.  If you use bigger casters on your carpet (which would be wise) you need to modify the height of
the unit because it will not fit.  If I could do this over again, I would put 2″ casters on, but I had to use 1  5/8″ casters in order to fit this into the closet without modifications to the plan (which I could not do, since I did not discover this fact until it was assembled).  I don’t think these casters move as well as the 2″ would on the carpet, but for now it works.

I decided that after I sanded the boards, I would put on a layer of primer to avoid having to do that later.  I didn’t think about having to use wood glue (which you cannot use over primer).  If you do this, make sure you have some Gorilla Glue or other glue that works in this situation.

The assembly is pretty straight forward, but I did not have a workbench at this point and I did not use the clamps in a way that would have helped make the joints a little better.  Having a flat work surface to clamp to works wonders for the quality of your joints.

Here is a picture of the pocket holes used to assemble this:

Pocket holes on storage closet doors

Notice that the top shelf and the top of the unit do not have visible pocket holes.  That is because they are on the top of the boards so that you do not see these once they are installed.  If you are strategic in your placement of the pocket holes, your finish work is easier and neater because you are not having to plug and sand the pocket holes.

Next post I’ll let you in on my first project’s “OOPS!”