Now that I managed to cut my own plywood, I can get back to work on the laundry room remodel! I managed to get the cuts down to one sheet of 3/4″ plywood for the base and hutch, a 1×6 at 6′ (I bought an 8′), and a sheet of 1/4″ plywood. Here’s the final cut sheet for this part:
The dimension seem fussy, but in order to get them on one sheet they had to be. I had to jot down corrections as I cut so some of these, so I wouldn’t use the numbers. Maybe I’ll do a cut list post later, if someone wants it…
I started priming the boards last night with a foam roller I bought:
At first I was worried about how smooth this was going to turn out. The plywood soaked up a lot of the primer and when it dried it was pretty rough. This morning I sanded with 320 grit and it feels smooth to the touch. Even after the second coat, it doesn’t look as smooth as I’d like. I added some of this:
This is the first time I’ve used this. Don’t know if it made much of a difference or if I even used enough of it to even make a difference.
Yesterday I got one coat on most of the pieces. This morning I finished up 2 coats on all the pieces and started constructing it. Pocket holes in the bottom of the base:
Attach the bottom to the sides of the base:
I used a 1×6 pieced together to make the base top. I don’t recommend this because my top is not great. I don’t know the trick to making a flat panel with pocket holes, but wish I did. I should have used plywood and iron-on veneer.
Here it is screwed on to the base (countersink the screws):
Now I worked on the hutch by attaching the top with the pocket holes. I had to shim it up a little (you can see the sandpaper doing that) to get the front flush.
That’s all I did to the hutch so far.
I cut the 1/4″ plywood off at 12″ across the 4′ side and then cut it in half. One of the halves I cut 2 pieces at 7 7/8 and then had to cut the remaining pieces with a jigsaw since it was too narrow to use the circular saw with. I only needed one side to be straight, so I free-handed the cut:
Then I marked the 1/4″ plywood back (24″ wide piece) for the smaller pieces to make the panel look:
I put glue one the backs of the smaller pieces, smoothed it out by all the edges, and put lots of stripes in the middle. Then I weighted all of the strips down with as much heavy stuff and I could find.
I’m hoping this works when I cut it apart tomorrow. I didn’t want to put too much glue on them because I didn’t want it to squish out into the small spaces between the panels.
That’s what I got done last night and today.