The view from our “front” door {post 11} Drawer slides

By Pinktoesandpowertools | Progress Posts

I’m finding out that woodworking is nothing like sewing.  Is this a revelation for you also? No?  Must be just me then.  When I make a mistake while sewing I get out my lovely seam ripper.  I love that thing.  I need to find a woodworking joint ripper.  Just pick at a couple of pneumatic nails and the wood magically comes apart.  Anyone know of such a product?  Anyone?

Soooo, if you hadn’t heard yet, I’ve run into some problems. Of my own doing.  Of course.  I cut out my drawer parts before I bought my drawer slides and found out I didn’t have the necessary clearance for side mounting slides.  Luckily I found some center undermount slides that will work:

Bought them at Woodcraft so I could see them in person.  If I bought from Lowes, I had to order them online and pick them up in the store.  Did I mention I am tired of running into problems?  Actually seeing the slides before purchase seemed like a good way to avoid a problem.  These were $7.50.  I got one for each drawer.

Marked a line down the center of the drawer bottom and screwed the front of the slide to the front edge of the drawer and another one further down the slide.

Then I attached the cabinet part of the slide to the face frame (mistake!):

Now I realize that with it attached there, the front of the drawer cannot be inset like it is designed to be.  Remove that and cut out some small blocks to attach to the inside of the face frame in order to have something to screw the front of the slide to:


Then I reconnected the slide to the block and screwed the back of the slide to the back of the cabinet, using a level to keep it level.  When I slid the drawers in, they rocked.  That would be another problem.

When I bought the slides, I never mentioned that the drawers were inset.  These probably wouldn’t rock if the drawer fronts were overlay, because the drawer would always be resting on the face of the cabinet.  My drawers push all the way in and aren’t resting on anything.  So I decided to give them something to rest on:

I had to screw them in from the sides:

This was a whole learning experience (and problem maker) in itself.  I had to try to clamp this in place with the face frame in the way.  It didn’t work too well at first, until I learned that tacking it in place with the pneumatic nailer and then countersinking the screws was the way to go.  Problem one–used scrap hardwood for the runners which had a tendency to strip the screws before they sunk in; problem two–mismeasuring where to nail into the side resulted in a whole row of pneumatic nails sticking out in the inside of the cabinet that I have to remove as well as some screw holes.  Gotta love wood filler!

Now the drawers push in too far, so when I get the saw out again, I’m going to cut some blocks to size for the back of the slide.  If I don’t figure out the correct, professional way this should be done before then.  Some Directions for Dummies included in with the hardware would be nice.  I also have to buy some more of the flat plastic tacks included with the drawer slides so the drawers glide on those instead of the wood runners.  The slides only came with two per slide.

So I’m sure that my inexperience and possible stupidity contributed to the problems I encountered.  Either way, I’m emotionally ready to be wrapping this project up!