I don’t know why it is proving to be so difficult to begin this post in an interesting way! I have began and deleted 4 different beginnings, so now I give up and you just get this. Definitely the worst one.
My last attempt at doors was the built-in cabinet in the laundry room:
These were not difficult–but then again, you’ll recall that they do not actually open either. Since they hide the litter box, I didn’t feel it was necessary to look inside from the front! This current built-in needs working doors. And I am very happy with how they turned out.
I used 1x3s for the door frame. First I learned how to use the router table that my stepdad provided for me. I used a straight bit to rabbet out a spot to fit a 1/4″ plywood back. Then I cut a miter corner for each door and attached with pocket holes.
Then I cut a 1/4″ plywood back and glued it on.
The finished doors! I puttied all dings, etc.
I didn’t bother plugging the pocket hole on these, although that would have improved the appearance on the back. If you don’t have a router, you could just attach the plywood back directly to the 1x3s and account for that thickness in the shelves you put in the cabinet.